Archbishop Holgate’s is an extremely popular school and one that takes students from a wide geographical area both in York and beyond. Last year our intake included young people from 41 different primary schools, including the East Riding. We have 30% Foundation places and 70% community places.
How do I enrol my child at Archbishop Holgate’s?
If your child is at a York primary school
You can request a place at Archbishop Holgate’s through City of York Council www.york.gov.uk/schooladmissions. The form should be returned to the City of York Council on line. It is important that you express a preference for Archbishop Holgate’s on this form, and that you return the form by 31 October. You will hear in March which secondary school is offering your child a place.
If you are applying for a Foundation place, you also need to complete a Supplementary Information Form signed by your minister of religion. Details of the criteria for Foundation places are set out in the school’s Admissions Policy. Copies of all these documents can be obtained from the school. Please return the Supplementary Information Form directly to the Admissions Secretary at Archbishop Holgate’s, by 31 October. For a Community place you need to take no further action.
If your child is at a primary school outside York
The application procedure is as above.
If your child is at another secondary school, or if you are moving into the area
Please contact School Services at City of York Council,
West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA
Telephone: 01904 551554
Well over half our students come to Archbishop Holgate’s from outside the school’s designated catchment area, and their applications are warmly welcomed. Foundation places are offered on faith grounds to members of Christian churches and other major world faiths. Community places are offered to those seeking a school with a Christian tradition, with priority first to siblings, second to students living in the area normally served by the school, third to those with the closest safe walking route. As part of enrolment, students complete an Admission Form. Students and parents also sign an Acceptance Form, based on the school’s aims, and marking the beginning of a partnership between home and school.
- Find out about the school – from the Prospectus; from visiting the school on our Open Evening; from this website; or from personal contact. Decide whether you can commit to the aims, values and ethos of the school.
- Find out about the school’s admissions procedure – see especially pages 1 and 2 for specific criteria. It should be noted that for September 2024 the number of places available for admission into Year 7 is 300 (30% Foundation and 70% Community places).
- Find out about the Local Authority’s admissions procedure – from A Guide to Parents (City of York Council) or Secondary School Admissions (East Riding of Yorkshire Council).
- Complete an Archbishop Holgate’s School Supplementary Information Form to apply for a Foundation place – on-line application is not possible. Forms are available from the school and are returned direct to the school. Supplementary Information Forms must reach the school’s Admissions Secretary by the last day of December.
- Inform the Local Authority – Complete and return the Common Application Form for your Local Authority. Instructions are issued by the LA. Forms are returned to the LA.
If you need further information – please be in touch with the Admissions Secretary, Mrs Sissons. She will be pleased to answer any questions you may have and will do all she can to help.
Help and advice
Information about admissions in York is available from School Services, Telephone: 01904 551554 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, please ring our Admissions Secretary (01904 411341), who will be very happy to explain the procedures to you.
Although the information on this website is correct at the time of posting, this information is continually being updated. Parents seeking up-to-date information on particular points are asked to check with the school. Meanwhile we will keep parents informed of new developments. We aim at all times to work closely with parents in providing the best possible education and opportunities for the students of Archbishop Holgate’s School.
Archbishop Holgate’s School participates in the Local Authority’s Co-ordinated Admission Scheme for in-year admissions. If parents/carers wish to apply for a school place, applications can be made at https://www.york.gov.uk/SchoolAdmissions via the ParentPortal. The Local Authority will confirm the outcome of the application in writing within 15 school days. If the application is refused, the Local Authority will advise on the statutory appeal procedure. Details of the Co-ordinated Admission Scheme and how in-year applications are managed are available at https://www.york.gov.uk/SchoolAdmissions.
Admissions Policies for 2023-24 Entry
For children starting school in Year 7 or Year 12 in September 2023, the following policies apply to all admissions:
Archbishop Holgate’s Year 7 Admissions Policy 2023-24
Archbishop Holgate’s Sixth Form Admissions Policy 2023-24
Admissions Arrangements for 2024-25 Entry
Inline with the School Admissions Code 2021, we participate in the City of York Council coordinated admission consultation. The consultation took place between Monday 3 October and Sunday 13 November. The consultation has now closed. During the consultation period, the draft admissions policies, published admission numbers and related documents for Pathfinder Multi Academy Trust’s schools advise how admissions applications and decisions will be made for the 2024 to 2025 school year. Any feedback from the consultation will be considered by the Trust as the Admission Authority.
The admission arrangements for 2024-25 were formally determined by the Pathfinder Multi Academy Trust Board in February 2023. A copy of the admissions policies and supplementary information form for Archbishop Holgate’s School and Sixth Form can be found below:
AHS Year 7 Admissions Policy 2024-25
AHS Supplementary Information Form 2024-25
AHS Sixth Form Admissions Policy 2024-25
School Admissions Key Dates
Starting secondary school in September 2024
- 12 September 2023 – opening date for applications
- 31 October 2023 – deadline for ‘on time’ applications
- 1 March 2024 – National Offer Day
- 31 March 2024 – deadline for return of appeal forms if appealing
- May – June 2024 – admission appeals held*
*Subject to panel members availability