Where can I buy school uniform?

School uniform and sports kit are available from Keal Teamwear and may be ordered on line or from there shop in Walmgate. Click here for full details on Uniform.

How do I arrange for my child to have school meals?

The school canteen provides hot and cold meals at lunch time and snacks at morning break. We suggest approximately £3.00 for a hot meal and pudding. At the start of the academic year, Year 7 students initially go into lunch earlier than the rest of the school. They are taken by their subject teacher who will show them how to purchase lunch, where to put their bags and address any other concerns. Students must not bring canned fizzy drinks to school.

We use a cashless catering system which means students have an account which can be topped up either by using cash in one of our machines or via WisePay, where you can top up the account electronically and track purchases.

How do I find out if my child is entitled to free school meals?

If you are in receipt of Income Support, Income-based ESA or Income-based Job Seekers allowance you should be entitled to Free School Meals and possibly other educational benefits for your child(ren). You may also be entitled to other educational benefits if you receive child and working tax credits – though this will not include Free School Meals. In this case you should include a copy of your latest tax credit notice (TC602) with your application. Upon receipt of this evidence York City Council will assess your eligibility to all educational benefits.

How do I apply?

  • Download and Educational benefits Form online at www.york.gov.uk
  • Request a form on 01904 554244
  • Collect and Educational Benefits Form from the school office

How do I report my child’s absence?

Please contact the school on the attendance line: 01904 411341 on the first day of illness as soon as possible after 8.00am and each day thereafter. If we have not heard from parents on the first day of an absence then our Attendance Administrator will make telephone contact or send a text message on the same day. Should your child refuse to attend school for any reason please contact the Attendance Administrator who will liaise with the Head of Year to help resolve any issues.

If the school is closed due to inclement weather, how will I be informed?

Every effort is made to keep the school open during inclement weather, however, if the decision is made to close the school you will be notified via the following ways:

  • A message on the school phone
  • Text message
  • School website
  • Radio York and Minster FM

If the school has to be closed part way through the day we will send a text to parents informing you that school is closing and that students are being sent home early. It is very important that you keep us updated with any change of mobile number.

Will my child be given homework?

All students including Year 7 are expected to complete homework to deadlines. The amount of time spent on homework increases as they progress through the school. All students are expected to complete homework, but are not expected to spend unreasonable amounts of time doing so. A reasonable length of time to spend on homework in Year 7 would be 20 -30 minutes per individual subject; however this of course can vary as students undertake a wide variety of tasks and projects over the course of the year. Students will be given a homework timetable which will help with organisation.

Please click here for more information on homework

How will I know if my child has a detention?

  • Lunchtime detentions: will happen with immediate effect and an explanation written in the student’s planner.
  • After school detentions: a note in their planner/letter/text/phone call will be sent informing you at least the day before your child’s detention

Does the school provide early morning and after school care?

The school runs a breakfast club from 7.45 – 08.45 Monday to Friday.

The school runs a homework club from 3.10 – 4.00 Monday to Friday.

How can I request a meeting with my child’s teacher?

Please contact the school office if you would like to arrange an appointment with a Head of Year or subject teacher. We will get back to you with a mutually convenient date and time. Parent Evenings and Progress Reviews are held throughout the school year when you will be given the opportunity to discuss your child’s progress.

If my child has additional needs, how can we access relevant support?

If you have any concerns regarding your child’s progress, please contact Miss Nicol, our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENDCo). For more information please read our SEND Offer.