Where can I buy school uniform?
School uniform and sports kit are available from Keal Teamwear and may be ordered on line or from there shop in Walmgate. Click here for full details on Uniform.
How do I arrange for my child to have school meals?
The school canteen provides hot and cold meals at lunch time and snacks at morning break. We suggest approximately £3.00 for a hot meal and pudding. At the start of the academic year, Year 7 students initially go into lunch earlier than the rest of the school. They are taken by their subject teacher who will show them how to purchase lunch, where to put their bags and address any other concerns. Students must not bring canned fizzy drinks to school.
We use a cashless catering system which means students have an account which can be topped up either by using cash in one of our machines or via WisePay, where you can top up the account electronically and track purchases.
How do I find out if my child is entitled to free school meals?
- use your details to check your child’s eligibility for free school meals by checking information held by the Department for Work and Pensions and the Department for Education; this quick online check means we can confirm eligibility immediately;
- write to you to inform you of the outcome, if it is successful;
- our system runs every two weeks so you need only apply the once.
Our free school meal allowance is set at £3.00 per day, this is significantly higher than the Government recommendation but ensures that students can have food at break time along with a full meal at lunch.
- we treat all claims in confidence and schools provide the same meals whether they are paid for or provided free;
- your child doesn’t have to take up a meal everyday – you can still provide a ‘pack-up’ as and when you want to ;
- it will not affect any other benefits that you are claiming.
Parent/Carer Required Information
- Parent/Carer Full Legal Name
- National Insurance Number or National Asylum Support Service Reference Number
- Date of Birth
- Relationship to child
- Address including postcode.
- Student Full Legal Name
- Student Date of Birth
How do I report my child’s absence?
Please contact the school on the attendance line: 01904 411341 or report the absence via the Class Charts app on the first day of illness as soon as possible after 8.00am and each day thereafter. If we have not heard from parents on the first day of an absence then our Attendance Administrator will make telephone contact or send a text message on the same day. Should your child refuse to attend school for any reason please contact the Attendance Administrator who will liaise with the Year Team to help resolve any issues.
If the school is closed due to inclement weather, how will I be informed?
Every effort is made to keep the school open during inclement weather, however, if the decision is made to close the school you will be notified via the following ways:
- A message on the school phone
- Text message
- School website
- Radio York and Minster FM
If the school has to be closed part way through the day we will send a text to parents informing you that school is closing and that students are being sent home early. It is very important that you keep us updated with any change of mobile number.
Will my child be given homework?
All students including Year 7 are expected to complete homework to deadlines. The amount of time spent on homework increases as they progress through the school. All students are expected to complete homework, but are not expected to spend unreasonable amounts of time doing so. A reasonable length of time to spend on homework in Year 7 would be 20 -30 minutes per individual subject; however this of course can vary as students undertake a wide variety of tasks and projects over the course of the year. Students will be given a homework timetable which will help with organisation.
Please click here for more information on homework
How will I know if my child has a detention?
- Lunchtime detentions: will happen with immediate effect and an explanation written in the student’s planner.
- After school detentions: a note in their planner/letter/text/phone call will be sent informing you at least the day before your child’s detention
- All detentions will be available on the Class Charts App.
Does the school provide early morning and after school care?
The school runs a breakfast club from 7.45 – 08.45 Monday to Friday.
The school runs a homework club from 3.10 – 4.00 Monday to Friday.
How can I request a meeting with my child’s teacher?
Please contact the school office if you would like to arrange an appointment with a member of the Year Team or subject teacher. We will get back to you with a mutually convenient date and time. Parent Evenings and Progress Reviews are held throughout the school year when you will be given the opportunity to discuss your child’s progress.
If my child has additional needs, how can we access relevant support?
If you have any concerns regarding your child’s progress, please contact Miss Holmes, our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENDCo). For more information please read our SEND Offer.