The Department for Education announced funding to support students whose learning was disrupted as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. This 16 to 19 Tuition Fund is available to all 16 to 19 providers such as Archbishop Holgate’s Sixth Form and is ring-fenced for 16 to 19 small group tuition and intervention.
The funding can be used to support small group tuition for 16 to 19 students in English, maths, and other courses where learning has been disrupted. The guidance indicates that the supported students must be on a 16 to 19 study programme and who have not achieved grade 5 or above in GCSE maths and/or English by age 16. All will be on a 16 to 19 study programme. The subjects covered in the tuition will not be limited to English and maths but will be identified according to need and existing programmes.
Archbishop Holgate’s School is committed to using the small group tuition funding that it has been given to mitigate against the impact of the pandemic on our study programme students. Sessions will be limited to up to five students per group and will be in addition to the normal timetabled hours. Students will be prioritised for small group tuition based on the guidance released by the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA).
Support sessions will be prioritised for the following students:
- Those with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan
- Those who have a grade 4 or below in GCSE Maths and/or English
Examples of some of the Tuition Support on offer will include:
- GCSE exam re-sit preparation
- Functional skills assessment preparation
- Bespoke subject support/catch-up
- Access to additional external tutoring
- Additional support within our Work Skills provision.
- In school and online provision reflecting the national picture.
Tuition support and opportunities offered will be based on an individual assessment needs, the identification of an individual starting point, clear learning goals, expectations and outcomes.
We are committed to ensuring the tuition fund is used in accordance with the Government’s guidance on the 16 to 19 tuition fund by:
- producing this statement setting out how the fund will be used to support the most disadvantaged students
- publishing this guidance on our Sixth Form website
- recording the use of the fund, including references to individual students who receive support, the needs of those students, the number of hours of tuition delivered and retain the evidence of the tuition provided
- deliver the extra tuition and spend the allocated funds in the academic year 2020/21
- review and develop offer as the COVID-19 situation and impact develops