Psychology is the science of mind and behaviour. Essentially, Psychology is all about people. We are all amateur psychologists, every time we try and work out why someone acted the way they did or try to predict how someone might behave or react. Psychology tries to answer these questions by investigating them in a more scientific manner.
“Until you make the unconscious, conscious it will direct your life, and you will call it fate.”
Pearson BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Applied Psychology
What will I learn?
- Applications of psychological approaches (exam-based unit)- Including a review of the key approaches/branches of psychology. This will include studying the social, behaviourist, cognitive and biological approaches.
- Conducting psychological research (assignment-based unit) – Including the study of different research methods used by Psychologists. Students will also carry out their own research in the form of a pilot study (small-scale investigation).
- Health psychology (exam-based unit) – Including the study of well-being, stress, addiction and theories of change.
- Introduction to Psychopathology (Assignment-based unit) exploring the modern and historical concepts of psychopathology, and examining the causes, types, characteristics and treatments of a chosen mental disorder’
How will I be assessed?
This is an Extended Certificate Level 3 BTEC qualification. This is the equivalent to 1 A Level. All students will sit two exams and complete two assignments to complete the course. Points are gathered from each unit to produce an overall grade.
- a BSc (Hons) in Occupational Health if taken alongside, for example, a Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Health and Social Care
- a BSc in Education and Child Psychology if taken alongside, for example, a Pearson BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate in Health and Social Care and an A Level in Biology
- a BSc (Hons) in Sport Psychology if taken alongside, for example, a Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science
- a BSc in Forensic and Criminal Psychology if taken alongside, for example, a Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Forensic and Criminal Investigation.